Thursday 15 April 2010

I want Candy..

A matter close to my ♥

"Diabetes has been a recognised condition for more than 3,500 years"- BBC health

Although this is a piece of work from my 1st semester last year, I feel that at this moment in time it is very relevent. The brief for the above image was to "Modernize a German Fairytale". I'm not quite sure how succsessful I was but as with most fairytales, they raise an issue which will always exist such as love, hate, good and evil. I decided to look upon the aspect of illness and in particular, diabetes. A somewhat bittersweet thing.

My image I guess would be used as a poster. It portrays Hansel and Gretel (two little kids who loved their candy), meeting with various other fairytale characters and showing the side effects and early signs of diabetes.

This little piggy went to market...Did you know that diabetes can effect one's feet?

I personally feel that not only diabetes, but also other illnesses out there do not have enough awareness about them.

The other night for exampe, the BBC mentioned on their programme "Spoilt Rotten?" that by having an unhealthy diet and "bad" lifestyle, could lead to "Diabetes" in the future. Although this may be the case regarding type 2 diabetes, it was not made clear to the viewers that type 1 diabetes is somewhat different. Many people are not even aware that there is more than one type of diabetes. When reguarding type 1 diabetes, medical resources have yet to provide a reason for one to develope it.

An apple a day keeps the doctor..away?

I guess that I can only hope that in the future a silly mistake that could be seen as misleading information, will be made more specific to an exact fact.

For more information on diabetes, type 1 & 2 : http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you pointed out the difference between type 1 & 2 diabetes.
    I hope that people following your blog will take time to visit the diabetes.org.uk website which is very comprehensive and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete